22 September 2007

Hole's "Pretty on the Inside"--a musical meander


Pretty on the Inside, Hole's debut, came out when I was in my early twenties. It spoke to me, wept with me, raged with me, rumbled in me, and stayed with me like nothing ever had (nor has). "Teenage Whore," "Garbageman," "Pretty on the Inside". . .the music articulated my self-loathing, my anger, my pain. I'd forgive Courtney Love (nearly) anything because she provided a catharsis, an expression of all the bubbling bullshit inside of me.

The rawness, the freakishness, the pain of Love's vocals in an age of Tori Amos and Suzanne Vega...no contest (I knew I was supposed to find "Me and a Gun" cathartic, but I didn't).

As far as Riot Grrrls go (is that antiquated or what?) nothing, nothing by Bikini Kill, L7, Seven Year Bitch and other valuable bands, touches Pretty on the Inside.

No comments: