06 September 2007

Fairly bare bones

I'm wondering if there's a way to reorganize my posts as I write them so that they reflect some sort of chronological order. The problem is that when I begin to write of one incident, another, similar incident springs to mind, and I’m reluctant to interject with “at this time we lived here and I was dating this man” if that information is tangential. So here, in brief, is a vague-ish rundown:

1) I was born in the southwest in the late 60s to a largish family.

2) A few years after my birth, my (entire) family moved to SoCal, where I was the victim of sexual abuse.

3) In the early seventies, my immediate family moved to the Midwest (and along Route 66 before it was torn up). This is where I attended kindergarten and first learned to doubt that “starting over” was ever possible because nothing really changed.

4) The next year, we--my entire family--moved to a small town in a conservative state.

5) In the mid-70s my immediate family moved back to the southwest (where my father’s parents lived and where my parents divorced).

6) In 1977 we (myself, mother, and two siblings) moved back to the small town in a conservative state.

7) The following year ("Hot Child in the City" was huge) , we moved to a city where my mother entered community college. This city is where I spent most of my pre-adult years (middle school high school and university), but I never considered those years “formative.” My personality and my problems had already cemented themselves by this point. This is also where I was raped and nearly murdered.

After I completed high school, I entered the local community college as an inexpensive way to earn my GUR credits before enrolling at a university. At this time, I began work as an exotic dancer (among other things). I would return to this job periodically for the next ten years.

I lingered at the community college so I might take classes that interested me--I was in no rush, so I was able to enjoy courses such as political science, philosophy, anthropology, and art history. I finally moved on to university and achieved my BA. I followed that immediately (well, two years later) with an MA in the same discipline as my BA.

After my MA, I left the region. I met a men whom I married and divorced within three years.
I’ve remarried (seven years now), and I am currently a PhD candidate, which means I’ve done all but my dissertation. The downside of dissertating is all the requisite introspection. Whenever I sit down to work, sooner or later I end up turning that introspection onto myself, and that leads to a debilitating anxiety. I kind of figure that this blog will help ease that anxiety. Like I keep saying, a way to get sorted.

No comments: